gimp save formats

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:53:25 MST 2012

The recent thread on png vs jpg might provide some helpful information.
I'll try to give a brief answer.

Jpeg throws away much of the information contained in the picture.  If
you just want to look at the picture but don't want to edit it, jpeg
should be ok.

Png doesn't throw away any of the data, but compresses it so none of the
data is lost.  This makes for a larger file, but a better choice if you
want to maintain quality after editing the file.

Gif is an old format dating back to 1987.  It's 8 bits per pixel so you
only get 256 possible colors.

Also anything I've read about tiff says it's preferred by professionals
especially when they're going to edit the result.  A tiff image can be
uncompressed, or compressed using either lossy or lossless options.

I would suggest saving anything you're editing as an uncompressed tiff
file while you're working on it.

I have a 10 megapixel camera that saves pictures as jpg files. I've
taken several pictures to walmart to have them printed, and they look fine.

No doubt by the time the weekend's over, you'll get some useful information.

bye

Derek

On 10/5/2012 16:08, Michael Havens wrote:
> I'm delving into GIMP. What is the best save format? JPG, GIF, etc...

"One mistake up here and it's half a day out with the undertaker!"
- Fred Dibnah