What benefit .png over .jpg?

Adam McCullough ajmccul1 at asu.edu
Fri Oct 5 01:54:11 MST 2012

Film vs Digital is a mixed bag.

Film has more dpi resolution -- more MP. Digital is a lot more flexible --
you can go from ISO 200 to ISO 16,000 and back without thinking twice. With
a 35mm camera, you shot the roll of film, and if you needed a low-light
shot and you had ISO 50, you were hosed. :)

Now that cameras like the D600 are starting to inch in on that territory (
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d600.htm), that may change. But film is not
going away. Photography is an artistic medium, and as such, it's
subjective. Meaning, people will always have personal opinions based on
their own preferences, and often having little to do with reality, other
than they find it fun.

(I say this as someone who owns a very-obsolete D40, and wouldn't mind
tinkering with a film one.)

People are still using pinhole cameras. Why? Because it's fun.

Note also that the professional photographer I linked to loves that camera,
because it's full-frame (a full 35mm-sized sensor, rather than a smaller
sensor with the same aspect ratio), but he still shoots it in 6MP mode.

MP are great if you're printing things that are flippin' huge and are meant
to be seen up-close. Or if you're doing work that is usually done by a
large-format camera -- the kind Ansel Adams used. For 99.999% of what
people use cameras for, 6MP is just fine.

The same website had an article for the D60 that came out and made my D40
'obsolete.' The only thing you got was 10 MP instead of 6, and a slower
sensor (100 ISO at the bottom instead of 200). But hey, it sold!

I'm guilty of falling for this fallacy to a point. I typically shoot in RAW
format. But whenever I have to send a picture to a friend, it usually goes
straight to jpeg-basic. And they're thrilled to pieces with it. I'm just
indulging in my own vices by keeping things in the 'nice' image format for
myself.

But, like Ken said. Best thing to do, if you are a shutterbug, is to not
fret over the stats, grab a camera (any camera), go out, and shoot. You
will become a much better photographer by doing that than worrying about
camera specs.

</tangent>

Adam