What benefit .png over .jpg?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Thu Oct 4 17:16:16 MST 2012

Thanks.  Very helpful explanation.  I've always used .jpg almost
exclusively and never noticed any degradation when editing.

Guess I'll have to re-learn everything I thought I knew ;)

Never did understand the need for 3, 5, 8, 10 or larger megapixel cameras.

I take all my snapshots at about 1/2 megapixel jpg and then crop and
further resize everything down to about 1/4th the original size, and I
can't tell any difference in image quality, even with a jeweler's loop.
I've sometimes printed an original and a resized smaller version at Costco
and asked people to tell me which is better, and I've never found anyone
who could tell any difference.

People send these 3-megapixel (and bigger) images to me all the time and
they are really slow to load. So, I've always used imagemagick 'convert'
to bulk resize everything to about 1-20th the original size and they all
look the same to me.

On a recent vacation, I took more than 1,000 snapshots and by resizing
them, they all fit on a single CD with lots of room to spare. I also
upload our travel pix to a web page for our family to view online and by
reducing the image size, all the images load and display very quickly and
beautifully online.  With 3+meg image files it would take 20 times more
bandwidth and 20 times longer to load and display.

So, I just don't understand the benefit of keeping snapshots in gigantic
image file sizes.

-------