DNS : SPF record on ZoneEdit

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Nov 21 17:41:34 MST 2012

Hi Keith,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother everyone on Thanksgiving eve!  BTW Happy Thanksgiving!!
>
> I need to configure an SPF record on ZoneEdit and I cannot find enough
> information to configure it.
>
> I assume the record type is TXT.  And I know what the TTL is.  Not sure
> what to put in the Sub-Domain field and the Text field.

Subdomain would be "@" or all.  You are entering this TXT record at the
domain level (just like you do for your MX records); however I am unsure of
the syntax of that portal - such questions might be best addressed to
support at zonedit.com?

Yes, the record type is TXT, 3600 is acceptable for a TTL (or set as
default of other records).

If you are entering a SPF (sender policy framework) record to make your
mail more deliverable, it would be entered into the Text Field:

"v=spf1 ptr:gmail.com -all"
Any server whose hostname ends in gmail.com is designated.

For a full list of all allowable characters:
http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax

Note, I believe the "-all" is deprecated in favor of ~all, but most DNS
allow either.

Here's the test tools for SPF:  http://www.openspf.org/Tools

> Also I have multiple sub-domains that point to the same email server, such
> as SMTP, MAIL, etc.
>
> I have two mx records.

That is not going to matter here, I don't think; provided you actually are
entering a SPF entry, which will work for your entire domain on any mail
message.

> Any help is much appreciated.

If this is not successful, I would suggest you ask here (although they are
not going to be as qualified as we are):

http://www.zonedit.com/support.html

--

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype