CNAME lookup failed temporarily. (#4.4.3) bounced emails

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Nov 21 16:57:56 MST 2012

Check that your server is not on any RBL list (real time black hole list).
Alternately set up a smart host to send through a provider they don't block
(like gmail/google apps for domains).
You can test manually using telnet.
First get their mail exchange records:

nslookup -query=MX comcast.com

Server:      x.x.x.x

Address: y.y.y.y#53

Non-authoritative answer:

comcast.com mail exchanger = 5 mx1.comcast.com.

comcast.com mail exchanger = 5 mx2.comcast.com.

comcast.com mail exchanger = 5 mx3.comcast.com.

comcast.com mail exchanger = 5 mx4.comcast.com.

comcast.com nameserver = dns101.comcast.net.

comcast.com nameserver = dns102.comcast.net.

comcast.com nameserver = dns103.comcast.net.

comcast.com nameserver = dns104.comcast.net.

comcast.com nameserver = dns105.comcast.net.

mx1.comcast.com internet address = 76.96.32.247

mx2.comcast.com internet address = 76.96.32.252

mx3.comcast.com internet address = 69.241.43.117

mx4.comcast.com internet address = 69.241.43.118

telnet 76.96.32.24 25
helo <your server name>
mail from:< <from%3Aroot at san.mesacc.edu>user>@<your server name>
rcpt to:<user2>@c <to%3Asean.parsons at mesacc.edu>omcast.com