youtube-dl

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:25:58 MST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Carruth, Rusty <
Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com> wrote:

> First, unless you update your packages list (if using synaptic its ‘reload
> db’ or something) you will NEVER know if a newer package is out there.

Done, frequently (including this morning).

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Second, I use those firefox (and mumble mumble (seamonkey? And other))
> browser plugins.  DTA (down them all), ant, and something else.  They’ve
> worked fine for me..

No comment as I was simply answering Michael's question.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Third, 2006 seems REALLY old for something like this.  Indeed, if you go
> to http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/ you’ll see in the download section
> 2012.10.09. (which is also the only version, which seems mildly
> incongruous. Of course, the thing you download seems to be a binary file
> interpreted by python, which launches me into a ‘huh?  Gotta go figure THAT
> out sometime’ mode ;-)

Don't understand the 2006 reference other than as un un-updated reference
in a text file.  The package downloaded from the ubuntu repositories we are
all reporting as stating itself in the code and file names to be from
2012.02.27.

And finally, the file being executed is python code, not compiled.  Sounds
like you are running something later which is compiled python which has not
been accepted to the repositories yet.  Though it may be what you get from
whatever package you get/compile from git.  And, yes, that may well be the
real answer to the different experiences here.