HP locking up

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 00:42:01 MST 2012

On 11/09/2012 12:19 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I don't see anything to give me any definite clues. But here are a
> couple of questions that might yield a clue:
>
>  1. Has this machine sat unused and not plugged in for any length of
>     time (could be the CMOS battery is dead/dieing)?

I bought it in January and used it every day since then.  When it was a
windows box, I would have it running for several days at a time doing my
usenet harvesting.

>  1. When the machine is locked up, can you do Ctrl-Alt-F2 and get a
>     console (Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI)?

I can't do anything with it.  I can't get to a console.  I can ping it
when it's working normally, but when it locks up it doesn't respond to
pings or anything else.  When it locks up it stops everything.  If I'm
watching a movie on it when it locks up, the audio stops and the last
frame is on the screen until I push the power button long enough for the
machine to turn it off.   I have it and the other box plugged into a
netgear router.  There's a light on the front of it for each computer
that's plugged into it.  When I download using this machine, it's light
on the router blinks.  When the machine locks up, it's light stops blinking.

Also I opened it up and checked for dust bunnies.  There was a little
dust, but not enough to cause any problems.  Today I opened a terminal
and sensors -f.  I get results that vary between 40 and 60F.  I do
believe I'm not getting an accurate reading because it's not that old in
here.  Also I shut the machine down and checked the heat sink for the
processor.  It wasn't even warm.