What's the best high speed internet option?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:56:58 MST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Carruth, Rusty <
Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com> wrote:

> Tmobile has a sort-of unlimited option.  You decide how much ‘high speed
> capable’ internet you want per month 500M, 1G, 2G, IIRC).  When you exceed
> that, you ‘automatically’ fall back to slow (I’m guessing 56K).****
>
> ** **
>
> Beware that even if you force your phone (or whatever) to slow speed
> TMobile still counts the usage as ‘high speed capable’….****
>
> ** **
>
> Rusty

I'm paying $80/mo for unlimited voice and 5gigs/mo of data.  If I blow out
that 5gigs they slow me down to "EDGE/2G" speeds which still isn't half bad
- closer to 128k as opposed to 56, still usable.

I walked into that deal already owning a phone.  My latest phone is an
Android 2.3 "MyTouch 4G" (HTC Glacier) which is fairly easy to root/mod and
is otherwise a pretty good phone.  4G data is fast enough to live-stream
video and audio to a server in Sweden which is kinda my "killer app" for it
:).  See also this site for my latest capture:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/arizona-election-officials-call-cops-on-man-recording-them

I paid $100 for that phone used, cash, at a pawn shop.

I could have paid $60/mo for their current cheapest Android 4G phone but
then I'd also pay $15/mo extra on my bill for TWO YEARS, which comes to
$460 total with a big up-front tax.  Oh hell no - cruise Craigslist, pawn
shops, etc :).

So far as I know, only Tmobile will knock huge amounts off the bill if you
walk in with a phone in hand.

Their 4G coverage area is also very good.  They're not as fast as AT&T,
Verizon or Sprint "LTE" coverage, but they're still damned good.  What
they've done is, they bumped up their older 3G system (HPSA) with HPSA+ to
call it 4G and it really is a speed bump.  But better yet, as they roll out
new HPSA+ towers the HPSA 3G devices are also supported so they're the only
ones out there increasing their 3G coverage areas.  And Tmobile's 3G data
doesn't really suck either - you get typically 1.25mb/s inbound, 250-300k
outbound which is fine unless you need to stream-upload video like I do.
You can grab 3G Android devices for a song if you look around.

Their 4G is for me is usually 4mb/s or so inbound, a bit above 1mb/s
outbound.

Jim