OT: Router Recommendations

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed May 9 09:24:00 MST 2012

Hi Pete,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM, AZ Pete <plug at cactusfamily.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> My aging wireless router is starting to act up and it seems that I'll need
> a new one in short order.
> My current router is a Linksys wireless G (before they became Cisco) with
> four 10/100Mb ports.
>
> I'm looking for something similar in a wireless N variety with 4 gigabit
> Ethernet ports.
> Note: I'm only interested in a router, not a modem/router combo unit.
>
> I've actually been very happy with my Linksys. Is Linksys/Cisco still a
> good brand?
> Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they can share on
> brands and models?
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> Any of these SRP Cisco small business routers should be a good choice.:
http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/SRP_500_series/index.html-tab-Models

These also include the capability to use 3G and 4G (if you ever needed to
lose your High Speed Internet and just use your phone via tethering).  VPN
is also available which is nice and easy to setup via Linux so you don't
have to leave open ftp or ssh.

The old RV models are still secure and usable with 1000 fast ethernet
ports, VPN, and 802.11 wireless N, and the dual processor ARM design has
never been exploited (or ported to ddWRT) when configured correctly.  Just
beware not to buy some of these models new, (WRVS4400) as they are almost
End of Life.
http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/small_business_routers/index.html-tab-Models

I too favor the Cisco systems, but only their professional or small
business versions.
--
(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype