merge documents with scp

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Sat May 5 04:42:29 MST 2012

>   rsync -aHv <user1>@<address1>:/home/xyz*/ /home/xy*
There is nothing wrong with this line except that it may have some
interesting side effects.
It has nothing to do with rsync here, but with 'globbing'.

When you write a command like this, the shell will 'glob' it before it
executes it, and the results will depend on whatever is present on the
underline filesystem.

For starters:
<user1>@<address1>:/home/xyz*/
will 'glob' local directories which may or may not be present in the remote
box.

Then:
/home/xy*
Will glob local directories and the net result will be that you'll copy
everything that was 'glob(ed)' first to whatever name was 'glob(ed)' last,
and that may or may not be what you want to do (most likely will not).

I suggest that you read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob_(programming)
And try to understand 'glob' (again, nothing to do with rsync here) before
you blow up your foot.

There is a quick'n dirty way to explore what will 'glob':
echo /home/xy* # <= NOTE that there are no quotes because that will prevent
the 'glob(ing)'
Happy glob(ing)...
ET