hacking an android tablet to single function device

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri May 4 16:50:23 MST 2012

It is possible to kiosk an android device, and it doesn't require a special build.
The application must be an Android application, and must implement a certain interface.  Basically, you just replace the application that provides the home screen ("desktop" as you described it) with your own app that simply launches the kiosk application [1].
If you have an app in mind that doesn't work that way, just write your own app to fulfill the requirements then launch the app you want to run (or use one of several open-source demo/kiosk mode apps [2]).

The ARM support for "direct" execution of Java bytecode is a hardware acceleration technique, it does not change the requirement for a JVM.  In recent (e.g. ARM8 or later) chips it doesn't even provide a performance boost because the implementation is a trivial translation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Jazelle).

I'm a bit time-constrained recently, but perhaps in late summer I could provide the instructional talk you've requested, I have to see how it looks in a few months.

==joseph++

Note: the below links are semi-random, I did not vet the applications due to time constraints, I just hunted down a few representative links, so DO NOT trust these links just because I list them.
[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5881373/is-it-possible-to-create-an-android-app-to-make-the-phone-run-in-sort-of-a-kiosk
    http://kiosk.automated.it/
    http://www.kioware.com/kwfws_android.aspx

[2] https://github.com/mitmel/Demo-Mode