ssh in network

Mike Ballon mike.ballon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:54:37 MST 2012

I don't have an ubuntu box to show output exactly, hopefully this will
get you what you need just the same...

type "netstat -a | grep ssh" on the print server host, you should get
something like this:

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*
     LISTEN

If you don't see the output above, then ssh is not listen and you'll
need to type "sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start"

Try the netstat command again...

If, in the first time running netstat you DID see the output, check
your firewall by typing "sudo /sbin/iptables -L | grep ssh", you
should see something like this:

ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.0.0.0/8           anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh

If all that is correct the last thing to check is tcp wrappers, which
probably are not as common as you once where, just cat out
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for any related content.

Cheers!