Considering a new laptop

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Mar 27 08:21:12 MST 2012

Same with Dell, they employ guys like Mario Limonciello supporting their
hardware that does a lot of compatibility testing and pushes fixes
internally with dell for bios and other vendor-supported features.  I'd
do quick compat checks before buy, but Dell is usually a pretty safe
option for linux support I find.

I'd gone with a HP Elitebook for pure power (and 4 dimm slots for cheap
16gb ram) and other than raw performance, it's been an disaster for
linux support.  ACPI and bios disk functions are broken at best, and
they will never fix them because their "userbase is too small".  How
about just making hardware that doesn't suck?  Perfect example of a
vendor parasite around linux - happy to use it to sell servers, but
nothing else.

-mb