Considering a new laptop

Phillip Waclawski waclawski at mesacc.edu
Tue Mar 27 00:46:05 MST 2012

I have one of the Dell Ubuntu Laptops from about 6 years ago (yes, they did sell 1420n inspirons with linux pre-installed :). It still works, but the Intel Graphics card doesn't support Opengl very well, so that makes Blender, openshot and other programs on linux a pain, and things like wacraft literally impossible.

So, I've been thinking about
http://zareason.com/shop/Strata-6770.html decked out to the point I want is about $1400, but the 6 cell battery with maybe 3 hours of battery life...ugh
http://zareason.com/shop/Verix-2.5.html with a few upgrades goes to $2300 or so, everything I could want, but nearly $900 more.

I know you pay a bit of a premium going with a non top tier vendor that supports linux, but I've heard good things about them, and enjoyed their talk on "RetroGnome" at SCALE X.

What do folks think? And what other laptop vendors that support Linux (with good NVidia graphics cards in them, I won't do Intel graphics ever again).

Thanks
Phil Waclawski