python error

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:45:02 MST 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
> Great...
> So when you enter  as bmike1
>
> $ python
>
> you should be able to see it run?

Yep... 2.7.2 runs.

> try:
> $  ls -al /usr/bin/python

I ran the ls command but how is that supposed to fix anything? It returned with:
bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $  ls -al /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2012-03-17 13:33 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7

> Now try your original failing commands and see if you still get a python
> error?
 I still get the same error but it appears whenever I open a shell. I
don't issue any commands.

>> ls: cannot access
>>
>> /home/bmike1/.pythonbrew/bin:/home/bmike1/.pythonbrew/pythons/Python-2.7.2/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games/python:
>> No such file or directory
>> bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
>> wrote:
>> > This is all basic linux user group file permissions, I think.

>> > # sudo locate python | more
>> >
>> > You should see the location and version of your python.
>> >
>> > # sudo which python
>> >
>> > You should see the python and path.
>> >
>> > # ls -al $PATH/python
>> >
>> > You should see if you have user permissions to run it (drop the results
>> > into
>> > this email reply):

>> > No it says you are already installed.

>> > It looks like your .bashrc is messed up:
>> > Please move your .bashrc to a backup file:
>> >
>> > # cd ~ | mv .bashrc bashrc-old
>> > # sudo su
>> >
>> > What do you see now - please drop it into this email.

>> > # sudo locate pythonbrew
>> >
>> > # sudo /pathyouseeabove/pythonbrew venv use proj
>> >
>> > Looks like your home permissions are all fouled up?
>> >
>> > # cd ~/bmike1 | chown -R bmike1:bmike1 .
>> > # cd ~bmike1 | chown -r ug+rwx .
>> > # cd ~bmike1 | chmod -r ug+rwx .pythonbrew/

>> --

> (503) 754-4452 Android
> (623) 239-3392 Skype
> (623) 688-3392 Google Voice