Problems Printing with Firefox

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Mar 18 12:53:57 MST 2012

Hi Mark

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> [...]
> terms of features, it (i.e. system-config-printer) aims to be as complete
> as the CUPS web administration tool, while being integrated to the desktop."
>

>> C) If this is a "permissions issue", you might have to add the Firefox
>> invoking user to the group file:
>>
>> sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin tom
>>
>> firefox is running under user mark, and I am in the lpadmin group
>

>> D) Are you using a postscript printer?  Do you have kprinter installed?
>>

> I use gnome, not kde, so no kprinter. gtklp runs and finds all the
> printers.
>
> Also, why would the type of printer make a difference? If cups can print
> to that printer, why would firefox care, unless firefox doesn't use cups?
>

>> Firefox:
>> 1. First, if you haven't done so, you need to print to PostScript in
>> order for the needed entry in prefs.js to be populated. This will be done
>> automatically the first time you print. Open any web page and go to:
>>
>> File --> Print --> choose PostScript/default (it should be the default if
>> you haven't installed any printers yet) --> click "Print"
>>

> The problem is that there are no printers int he File --> Print dialog, so
> nothing to print to.
>

>> Once you have done this and it prints, it'll add the PostScript entry you
>> need to edit.
>>
>> 2. In the URL bar, type
>>
>> about:config to open the config page.
>>
>> 3. In the "Filter" bar, type
>>
>> print.printer_PostScript/default.print_command
>> This should filter everything out but that line.
>>
>> 4. Right-click on the line, click on "Modify", and change the entry to say
>>
>> kprinter then click OK. This will make Firefox print to kprinter any time
>> you select the "PostScript/default" printer.
>>
>> 5. Right-click anywhere in the white space, then click on "New -->
>> Boolean" to add a new Boolean entry. Type
>>
>> print.always_print_silent
>>
>> and set its value to "true". This will force Firefox to print to the
>> default printer without prompting you. If "PostScript/default" is the only
>> printer you have and there are no local / network printers, it works great
>> and you can stop here. But if you installed a printer through CUPS, it
>> complicates things as Firefox will want to use that as a default and all
>> your prints will go there without prompting you! So even if you don't have
>> a local printer, it's a good idea to add the following line in case you add
>> one later.
>>
>> 6. Once again, right-click and choose "New --> Boolean". Type
>>
>> print.postscript.cups.enabled
>> and set its value to "false". That will disable CUPS printing in Firefox,
>> and it will default to the "PostScript/default" printer. And since you've
>> changed the output of that to kprinter, you'll see a "processing" dialog
>> for a split second when you print, after which kprinter will open up. There
>> you can choose all your printers, including PDF, PostScript, and any CUPS

Did you verify the GTK?

Did you check for the gtkrc file?

You didn't give us your exact distro (there are many debian testing
versions) so I could not be sure this was not the Firefox gtk bug:

>> E.  If you have an older version of debian (known gtk bug issues) you
>> might try (verify) this:
>>
>> 1. From the terminal change into the gtk-2.0 directory...
>> cd /etc/gtk-2.0  [if you have a different version,check for the gtkrc
>> file as in 2.]
>>
>> 2. Use sudo and a text editor (my editor of choice is "vi") to create the
>> gtkrc file in the /etc/gtk-2.0 directory...
>> sudo vi gtkrc
>>
>> 3. Add the following to your newly-created gtkrc file...
>> gtk-print-backends="lpr,file"
>>
>> 4. Exit the text editor and save your newly-created gtkrc file.
>>
>> 5. Re-start your computer to incorporate the changes.  [Not sure why they
>> suggest this step, but it's in all the posts...]
>>
>> 6. Re-open firefox and you should be able to print to "lpr" from it!

Set the default printer:

lpoptions -d printer-name

The ‘d’ option sets the default printer.

If your shell is bash (which is the most common), you’d use the syntax in
your *~/.bashrc* file:

export PRINTER=printer-name

> I can print from the command line with lpr with no problem. If I go to
> about:config in firefox, my printer is there with all its different
> options. But the line print.printer_list is empty. The print.print_command
> has lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}, so I know it is trying
> to use lpr (same as the print.postscrip.print_command). But lpr works from
> the command line.
>
> It seems to be that firefox is not finding the list of printers from
> wherever it is supposed to find them, and so it cannot print.

Right....let's reset the printer:

As a first step, reset the selected printer in your Firefox preferences:

   1. Type *about:config <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config>* in the
   Location Bar and press Enter. A list of preferences will appear.
   2. Find the preference *print.print_printer* (Note: this preference is
   missing in Firefox profiles where you've never used the printer.)
   3. Right-click (context-click) that preference and select *Reset*. (Some
   users may need to reset all the *print.printer* preferences for a
   particular printer, if resetting this one master preference doesn't solve
   the problem.)
   4. Restart Firefox and see if the problem is resolved.

Note: If you get the warning dialog, "Printing failed when starting the
document" and if the *print.print_printer* preference has no printer shown,
either you don't have a printer selected, or Firefox doesn't know it is
installed on your system.

Follow this instruction to reset by double clicking on print.print_printer
and setting your default:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/firefox-not-seeing-cups-printers-869422/
[edit<http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?title=Problems_printing_web_pages&action=edit&section=2>
]
Does not print to paper at all:

If you are having a problem with Firefox not printing to paper at all, and
you don't receive a warning dialog:

   - Press {Ctrl + P} on the keyboard and make sure that you don't have
   Print to file selected under Printer > Comment:
   - Make sure that your correct printer is selected at Printer > Name:.

See full link:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problems_printing_web_pages

>> Respond with logs and test output with exact versions please?

What is:
# uname -a

Do you have a 64bit distro?  If so, Firefox cannot use the 64bit GTK
(another bug); just install the 32 bit.

> Exact versions of what? In my original post I had:
>
> "Firefox 11.0 installed, as well as Google Chrome 17.0.963.65, Opera, and
> of course, Epiphany on my Debian testing"

Missing the uname -a kernel version, (relevant to known bugs, libraries and
fixes).

But just manually adding or resetting your Firefox printer (if everything
else is normal) (after upgrade) should fix it.

> Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> Mark

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype