attach XP computer to network fror printing

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:44:38 MST 2012

look what I found in my quest to open ports for printing: I found a program
called ufw which is a 'program for managing a netfilter firewall.' And one
of the commands is:

       ufw allow 53
       This  rule  will allow tcp and udp port 53 to any address on this
       host.

Which is the printers port?... of course 631. my search engine is givong me
another: 515? But both of my computers print.
Do you know if I can specify more than one port in the command? oops... I
just found the correct syntax:
     ufw allow 18:25,50:110,130:150,389:445,
631,900:1000,5800:5900,8080,9418
the man page says I'm allowed 15 numbers in there. No spaces, separated by
a coma, and ranges (x:y ) count as two numbers.

What other ports does the great brain known as PLUG believe is good to open?
I think ufw is basically a program to make iptables easier. Or do you want
to give me a tutelage on iptables. I'm willing if you are! Does anyone have
any pointers about ufw?

ufw probably is an acronym for unix fire wall. or perhaps ubuntu fire wall.

--