*nix commands on windows

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:12:43 MST 2012

1-
/etc/hosts of Michaels-PC (192.168.0.3) <ubuntu>
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       Michaels-PC
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

/etc/hosts Michaels-Laptop (192.168.0.4) <mint>
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       Michaels-Laptop
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

so the 127.0.1.1 is supposed to be the computers ip?

2- Yes there is an ssh file... I'll feel stupid.... I thought of including
that fact in my previous email.... OOPS.

3- I ran nmap which says a whoke mess of ports are open on then mint (a)
but not much is open on the ubuntu (b) (this is probably related to the
printing problem too)

-a-
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ nmap 192.168.0.4
Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-03-15 12:59 MST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.4
Host is up (0.020s latency).
Not shown: 986 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
53/tcp   open  domain
80/tcp   open  http
110/tcp  open  pop3
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
143/tcp  open  imap
443/tcp  open  https
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
631/tcp  open  ipp
993/tcp  open  imaps
995/tcp  open  pop3s
5800/tcp open  vnc-http
5900/tcp open  vnc
9418/tcp open  git
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.48 seconds
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

-b-
bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $ nmap 192.168.0.3

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-03-15 12:55 MST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.3
Host is up (0.0028s latency).
Not shown: 997 filtered ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
443/tcp open  https
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 6.63 seconds
bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $