*nix commands on windows

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Mar 15 12:18:54 MST 2012

See below:

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1- Both /etc hosts files are identical.

Each /etc/hosts files start with a 127.0.0.1 address followed with the IP
address of the host and it's hostname and domain

192.168.11.66  mymachine.mydomain.com mymachine

Both should NOT be identical!

> 2- sshd isn't in either /etc/initd directories. but I don't know if that
> could be the problem since it is working going one way

Something has to be listening - is there a /etc/init.d/ssh file?

#/etc/init.d/ssh start

> 4- what are you suppose to look at/edit iptables-save with? nano and gedit
> give me (mostly) gibberish.

# sudo iptables-save | grep 22

or on each system:

# nmap othersystemip

To see if something is listening on port 22 for ssh daemon

It will tell you if it's allowing port 22.   But when you get gibberish and
someone is helping you on this list, you might just drop that "stuff" into
the reply, so they can help?

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice