GIT and Github - howto.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 16:36:47 MST 2012

Hi,

I have GIT installed on my server and I have Github.  I understand the versioning part.  The concept I am having trouble grasping is how I can use it a collaboration tool.

It is just me and another programmer.  We both have a local dev environment.  We work out of our homes and we live a fair distance apart - about a 1.5 hour drive.

We have a server in a data center that contains both our test server and our production server.

To this point we have worked on separate parts of this online app so we have not had any occasion to step on what they other guy is doing.

The two of us will be taking on a project that will require us to work within the same code set.

What we need to achieve is a way to checkout a PHP file work on it and then check it back in.  While the file is checked no one else should be able to use it.

I've been reading about GIT, however it is not clear if I can use it this way.

Your guidance is much appreciated.