Seeking a concise Linux installation checklist

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:32:43 MST 2012

Thinking about it, Fedora 16 has an XFCE and LXDE spin and they now do
install form a live CD so you can grab and try out what you want
first.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

I was pretty happy with 16 under the hood once i got used to fedora again.

or you could get really out there and try Xen Client2 not 100% Foss,
but you can install and run for free and get bare metal desktop
virtualization maybe.
http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=2300325

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM,  <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> I actually have two "old reliable" systems.  One is about a 5-year-old
> Mandriva, but unfailingly stable). The other is PCLinuxOS 2009 with KDE
> 3.5. It is by far the best system I have ever used or seen. I have
> PCLinuxOS 2011 on another system, just updated it today to 2012, and the
> latest version of KDE 4 is still a frustrating annoyance.  I've tried
> Gnome, LXDE, and several others, none of which I like.
>
> I've tried dozens of other supposedly stable distros, never anything "new"
> and cutting edge.  I prefer Redhat based. Never have liked ubuntu/kbuntu
> based systems, though I've tried several. Except an older verion of Mint.
> But even the newer versions of Mint seem too cluttered, glitzy, and
> bloated to me.  KDE 3.5 was excellent.  KDE 4 has always been a
> frustrating disaster imho.
>

> ----------------------------------
>> I was thinking the same question.
>>
>> If VB won't run on "old reliable", then find a "new reliable" that's as
>> close as possible to "old reliable" (afa the desktop goes), run "new
>> reliable" on bare iron, and run everything else as VMs under VBox.
>>
>> FWIW, I've been running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS since 10.10 or so and it's been
>> very stable. I run VMware Player instead of VirtualBox, but I think
>> you'd be just as happy with VB.
>>
>> Maybe your problem is that the new distros you've been trying are too
>> new. Seriously. Pick one that's had a chance for the bugs to settle out
>> of it. Like I said, I didn't install Ubuntu 10.4 until 6 months or so
>> after it came out. The bleeding edge is not a pleasant place to be for
>> many of us.
>>
>> --
>> -Eric 'shubes'
>>
>> On 03/06/2012 06:53 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>> What was old reliable?
>>>
>>> On Mar 6, 2012 5:39 PM, <joe at actionline.com <mailto:joe at actionline.com>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     == Eric last wrote:
>>>      > You certainly do want your base OS which runs on the HW to be as
>>>      > reliable as possible. Any reason why you can't put your "old
>>>     reliable"
>>>      > distro on the bare iron, then run VB on that with everything else
>>> as
>>>      > VMs? That's what I would shoot for.
>>>
>>>     It is my understanding that my "old reliable" system is too old to
>>> get
>>>     VB/VM working on it.  I can do everything else on "old reliable" and
>>> it
>>>     works incredibly much faster, more efficiently, and absolutely
>>> without
>>>     problems ... whereas every newer distro I have tried has given me
>>>     fits.  I
>>>     detest KDE4 and I detest "updates" that inevitably break something.
>>>     just did an "update" on one of my newer boxes and, sure enough after
>>> the
>>>     "update" the system locked up, the keyboard lights started blinking,
>>>     and I
> [...]

Stephen