Seeking a concise Linux installation checklist

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Mar 6 19:19:40 MST 2012

I was thinking the same question.

If VB won't run on "old reliable", then find a "new reliable" that's as
close as possible to "old reliable" (afa the desktop goes), run "new
reliable" on bare iron, and run everything else as VMs under VBox.

FWIW, I've been running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS since 10.10 or so and it's been
very stable. I run VMware Player instead of VirtualBox, but I think
you'd be just as happy with VB.

Maybe your problem is that the new distros you've been trying are too
new. Seriously. Pick one that's had a chance for the bugs to settle out
of it. Like I said, I didn't install Ubuntu 10.4 until 6 months or so
after it came out. The bleeding edge is not a pleasant place to be for
many of us.

--
-Eric 'shubes'