Seeking a concise Linux installation checklist

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Mar 6 14:15:39 MST 2012

Define "thin"?

I install and wrap up an ubuntu server package with a 4gb lvm pv that I
deploy with esx.  For server, with a full default install (plus
likewise, vmtools, snmpd, vim, and some other defaults) it fits snugly
at 800mb on all lvm's.  I split the 4gb disk hard provision /boot now to
a 200mb (used to 100mb, upgrades kill this) and rest as a lvm pv,
splitting it 300mb to /var/log, rest to root (or whatever your app
requires).  Works quite dandy for most purpose-built systems, and "thin"
as far as things go in modern times.

This is a basic production ubu 10.04 server install with procmail for
smtp relay:

UC\mb at relay0:~$ df -kh
/dev/mapper/vg0-root  2.2G  757M  1.4G  36% /
none                  181M  176K  181M   1% /dev
none                  186M     0  186M   0% /dev/shm
none                  186M   56K  186M   1% /var/run
none                  186M     0  186M   0% /var/lock
none                  186M     0  186M   0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1              89M   16M   68M  19% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg0-varlog
                       276M   13M  248M   5% /var/log

I'll add /media/ext0 for bulk data stores or /opt/application0 for more
purpose-built storage and replication.

Desktop images I manage much differently, usually 8g or 16g systems
virtual machine disk as a base, or whatever disk.  I break down
partition structure more delicately with more lv's comprising the fs,
but I always leave space to lvextend it larger if needed (/var comes to
mind with dist-upgrades needing sometimes 1.2g of free space and
overly-chatty logs).  Allocate free space with lvextend where necessary
as you learn.

A heavily-used/modified/upgraded (i.e. my desktop rig) base uses very
little still imho:

mb at host:~$ df -kh
/dev/mapper/vg0-root  2.0G  1.3G  711M  64% /
udev                  3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs                 3.9G  9.1M  3.9G   1% /tmp
tmpfs                 1.6G 1000K  1.6G   1% /run
none                  5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none                  3.9G  1.4M  3.9G   1% /run/shm
/dev/md/boot           97M   61M   32M  67% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg0-var   2.5G  1.3G  1.2G  54% /var
/dev/mapper/vg0-usr    10G  5.0G  4.6G  52% /usr

These are personally large spaces that usually replicate/symlink
generously between them and nfs network storage (read: important stuff):

/dev/mapper/vg0-ext0   32G   16G   15G  53% /media/ext0
/dev/mapper/vg0-home   32G   28G  3.1G  90% /home

Keeps the base disposable for the most part.  Rest is essentially where
you dump your "stuff".  Only other thing I backup is the /etc
directories for posterity (and my crazy xorg configs).

Still pretty "thin" in my book as far as an os, especially when win7/2k8
wants 20-25g just to install the bloody pig.  XP needed at least 8gb to
run/grow any, so 8g is fair to linux desktop, which it can make much
more use of out of box.

BTRFS is basically my eventual hope to reduce complication between
ssd/trim, md, luks, lvm, and traditional fs' to make use of space
effectively.

-mb