Seeking a concise Linux installation checklist

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Mar 5 20:31:05 MST 2012

Joe, Joe, Joe. You started out ok with this, (dual booting XP/Linux,
running VBox on Linux). Then somehow you introduced dual booting
multiple linux distros along with XP. Not a good idea in this day and age.

I think your objective should be to get to the point of having a single
linux boot, with VBox running whatever other OSs you want from there,
including XP. Forget about dual booting unless it's absolutely necessary
to get from here to there.

The first thing you should do if you want to keep your XP system is to
run the VBox utility which creates a VM image (set of files) from it. I
don't know off hand the program or process which does this, but IIRC
there is one. I've done it with VMware, just not VBox.

Then you can do a fresh install of whatever distro you like best,
install VBox on it, and then copy your XP virtual machine to it, just
like copying any other files. At this point you can run linux and XP at
the same time w/out rebooting. Then you can also create whatever
additional linux machines you'd like. All w/out messing with partitions
and dual booting and such. It's a *lot* simpler.

--
-Eric 'shubes'