attach XP computer to network.

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:33:30 MST 2012

I can't quite figure out how gimp applies here.  But a quick intro to tar
flags.

x = uncompress.  mutually exclusive from c and t
c = compress.  mutually exclusive from x and t
t = show.  mutually exclusive from x and c

So to create a tarball, use a c.

z = use gzip.  rename file with .gz
j = use bzip2.  rename file with .bz2.  more compression than gzip, but
less compatible and harder on the cpu.

And finally, the f.  Why an f?  For "file".  Now you may ask "why would I
have to put an f on the end of every tar command I ever issue?!"  That has
to do with what "tar" means.  Tape ARchive.  As in those nasty tape backup
devices that always break and need cleaning and take forever.  Since you
don't want to send it to tape, you have to tell it to work with files,
which means "f".

Throw a "v" in the args for verbosity.

So "tar xzvf /path/to/tarball.tar.gz" would uncompress said gzipped tar
into the current directory and tell you all about it.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> did I do this correctly? it's been sitting there about two minutes doing
> nothing:
>
>      xxxx at Michaels-Laptop ~/Downloads $ sudo tar -xz
> /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gimp-save-for-
>      web-0.29.3.tar.bz2
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and maybe an 'allow from ip address' too
>> --
>>

> --

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com