attach XP computer to network.

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 16:06:37 MST 2012

so I got to:

     service smb restart

and the reply was:

     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo service smb restart
     smb: unrecognized service
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ /etc/init.d/smb reload
     bash: /etc/init.d/smb: No such file or directory
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

so I guess this means samba isn't started?
so I googled starting samba with these results:

     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
     sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo start /etc/init.d/samba start
     start: Unknown job: /etc/init.d/samba
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo start /etc/init.d/samba
     start: Unknown job: /etc/init.d/samba
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

I don't know what to say now! How does one start samba: What stat up file
do I place this command in so I don't need to restart it every time I
restart my computer?

After scouring the internet I finally found the  right commands (I think)!
(at least it didn't complain when I issued them)

     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ /usr/sbin/smbd -D
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
     bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

yipee! Now will it print?.... and NO. It doesn't. So I ran the previous two
commands again but added the word start  after the 'D's but that didn't
help either.
As for the instructions to add modify the user I'm not sure how you mean to
do that. The user name that I deleted wasn't in the file so I don't know
what to modify. The new user name is 'MarksPlace'. so would I just add
these lines?

     [MarksPlace]
     comment = ????
     path = ????
     valid users = MarksPlace
     public = yes
     writable = yes

is comment whatever I want to say?
Is path the path on the ubuntu machine where I want it to store or write
whatever it needs to store or write?

--
> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>

> # sudo useradd $name
> # sudo smbpasswd -a $name
> # sudo service smb restart
>
> You might also want to verify your configuration (we are using a share
> called accounts below):
>
> Open /etc/samba/smb.conf file and add/modify share called [accounts]:
>
> [accounts]
> comment = Accounts data directory
> path = /data/accounts
> valid users = vivek raj joe
> public = no
> writable = yes
>
> If you edit anything, BE SURE TO SAVE ORIGINAL TO BACKUP FIRST, and of
> course reload the service with 'sudo service smb restart' after.
>
> And of course if any of these steps fails, please read and apply this link:
>
> Reference:
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/adding-a-user-to-a-samba-smb-share/