Dropbox popped

Mike Bydalek mike.bydalek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:17:27 MST 2012

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here for a second.  Let's say it
*wasn't* Dropbox, but instead was an employee of Joe's Mail Flyers,
Inc.  In this case, the *same* thing would have happened, but we would
*still* blame Dropbox; "How dare you not secure our data!"  You hit
the nail right on the head by saying, "a consumer organization."  As
such, it is all about convenience.  When people (*especially* internal
Dropbox employees), start putting unencrypted NPI data out there, that
falls in the whole, "You're doing it wrong!" bucket.

I agree with everything in your post except I'm not so sure about the
"no pii data should live outside a firewall."  While generally (for
network accessed data), yes, the reality is that it is not always
practical.  Products like IronKey and Full Disk Encryption (which the
FBI doesn't seem to have realized is out there ...) exist exactly for
this use case.

-Mike