Cox Cable TV

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 23 19:53:23 MST 2012

I use largely the same.  Ubuntu and xbmc work quite well, though after
my media box died now use a boxee box front-end (xbmc-ish with boxee, a
xbmc port + more internet-ish features like netflix, hulu, and other
commercial-cramming sites).  Honestly, I haven't had cable in umm... 15+
years now, and haven't needed it since I found out what a divx and
usenet was.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to see cable mso's actually lose
users to internet-only, but it began a good 3 years ago finally, and
most that do don't look back.  My grandmother can barely navigate the
netflix ui (back and forward in menus eludes her), but at 78 she's
excused and will keep paying for service to up/down through endless crap
channels.  Everything else needed to replace it is generally a polished
ui, webapp, web service, or phone app that makes it astonishingly easy
to see what you want, when you want, in whatever quality you want.

Now that media cartels and service providers are making it even more
annoying to bother paying them to get media ala the 'copy once' flag
nonsense and hdcp, I fail to see the point of bothering with
"cable/ota/fios tv".  Considering anything worth watching is
redistributed digitally cleanly (to the chagrin of the media industry)
without incessant, nagging, annoying commercials/blipverts to make your
head explode, it's a no-brain decision to me at least.

Put a hdmi nvidia card in your tv box, use xbmc with sabnzbd,
couchpotato, and sickbeard - just add hard disks (and lots of them).
You'll wonder why people bother wasting 17 minutes an hour on
commercials in shows too, watching them in order, and actually getting a
story/entertainment out of it.

Geeks.com has a refurb boxee box for $115 right now with hdmi/component
out.  Mine gets cranky with 1080p mkv's occasionally, but otherwise
works pretty well.

-mb