Puzzling dead.letter file.

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Jul 18 15:51:22 MST 2012

dead.letter is the dead letter queue for in-system email.
Looks like the output of a cron job being mailed to a user that cannot accept delivery (probably because the you don't have a delivery agent or root has a bad .mailrc or .forward).
Note that most of the messages in the file are from /etc/cron.daily/msec