Weird virtualbox...

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Jul 14 10:39:22 MST 2012

apt-get update
This is possibly a known malloc issue with glibc for your chipset.
Research requires full backtrace, versions, firmware and chipset versions.
# dmidecode
A post to the mint support might net more info although I would do
exhaustive reasearch on the error x-referenced with your hardware/OS.
On 14 Jul 2012 09:39, "kitepilot at kitepilot.com" <kitepilot at kitepilot.com>
wrote:

> Latest version...    :(
> No joy...
> Now, Virtual box works OK from its box or any other of my boxes that I SSH
> from.  That being the case, I have to assume that the problem is with my
> box's kernel/X/SSH combination.
> Virtualbox is still running in the remote box, only the output is
> displayed to another box.  That means (to me) that somewhere along the
> magic-cookie transfer and/or the SSH encryption/decryption, something goes
> back to the running box that kills the application.
> That defeats most of my C programming knowledge, which (no arrogance here,
> I do C/C++ for a living) is more than most people's on this list.
> Although I haven't done a whole lot of 'X' stuff lately...
> ET
>

> Lisa Kachold writes:
>
>> Hi-
>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
>> kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the Gnomes are at work (again) in my box and I could certainly use
>>> some help to evict them...
>>> This is what's happening:
>>> I use:
>>> 'ssh -fCXY user at remotebox run-something'
>>> a lot.
>>> Works every time.
>>> Or 'mostly' every time...
>>> Now when I run (ONLY from *MY* box):
>>> ssh -fCXY turboviking virtualbox
>>> I get:
>>> *** glibc detected *** /usr/lib/virtualbox/****VirtualBox: malloc():
>>> memory
>>> corruption: 0x099c5e48 ***
>>> And a long trace.
>>> This is the quick rundown of how it broke:
>>> My desktop was having hiccups and I decided to replace whatever I had
>>> (can't remember what) with the latest Xubuntu.
>>> After that, the problem started.
>>> This problem, coupled with other issues, led me to scrap Xubuntu and
>>> install the latest Mint/Mate.
>>> Problem didn't go away...
>>> The Xubuntu and Mint installations were fresh from-scratch installs, the
>>> only thing I preserved was my home directory.
>>> So the conclusion was evident: there is something in my /home/directory
>>> causing the problem.
>>> Nope...
>>> Created another user, rebooted the box and logged in with the new user.
>>> Same $#!T...   :(
>>> Now, ANYTHING else that I have fired up works just fine.
>>> And If I run the exact same instruction from other of my local boxes, it
>>> works fine too!
>>> It is ONLY 'vitualbox in my box' that fails.
>>> But it used to work just fine...
>>> Now the (unsolvable and incomprehensible to me) question is:
>>> What could possibly be breaking the whole 'remote SSH run' mechanism
>>> (ONLY
>>> for Virtualbox) in my box, which used to work fine before, and works fine