Weird virtualbox...

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Sat Jul 14 08:20:25 MST 2012

Well, the Gnomes are at work (again) in my box and I could certainly use
some help to evict them...

This is what's happening:
I use:
'ssh -fCXY user at remotebox run-something'
a lot.
Works every time.
Or 'mostly' every time...

Now when I run (ONLY from *MY* box):
ssh -fCXY turboviking virtualbox
I get:
*** glibc detected *** /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox: malloc(): memory
corruption: 0x099c5e48 ***
And a long trace.

This is the quick rundown of how it broke:
My desktop was having hiccups and I decided to replace whatever I had (can't
remember what) with the latest Xubuntu.
After that, the problem started.
This problem, coupled with other issues, led me to scrap Xubuntu and install
the latest Mint/Mate.
Problem didn't go away...
The Xubuntu and Mint installations were fresh from-scratch installs, the
only thing I preserved was my home directory.

So the conclusion was evident: there is something in my /home/directory
causing the problem.
Nope...
Created another user, rebooted the box and logged in with the new user.
Same $#!T...   :(

Now, ANYTHING else that I have fired up works just fine.
And If I run the exact same instruction from other of my local boxes, it
works fine too!
It is ONLY 'vitualbox in my box' that fails.
But it used to work just fine...

Now the (unsolvable and incomprehensible to me) question is:
What could possibly be breaking the whole 'remote SSH run' mechanism (ONLY
for Virtualbox) in my box, which used to work fine before, and works fine
from everywhere else.
Other than sacrificing another goat and burying some transistors and garlic
wrapped on anti-static paper at midnite with no Moon, I don't know what to
do...

I have seen Virtualbox do weird things before when ran it remotely under
X/SSH, but this blows my (little) mind.  :(
Any ideas?
Sight...
ET