How to troubleshoot a printing problem?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:19:26 MST 2012

Try looking at:
/var/log/cups/access_log
/var/log/cups/error_log
/var/log/cups/page_log

If you want to try deleting and re-installing the printer, make sure it's
print queue/spooler is empty.  If you still can't delete the existing
printer just install it again with a new name.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet4 that has worked fine for years printing via 'cups'
> from my long reliable Linux box.
>
> But recently it started hanging up with the "form feed" light lit and when
> I would tap the "form feed" lighted button, it would print a single
> document.
>
> Then, a couple weeks later, that quit working and when I would tap the
> "form feed" lighted button, the printer would just print a page with a
> single line that reads:
>
> ;%-12345x'pjl set pageprotect=auto-*'pjl set manualfeed=off*'pjl set
> economode=o...
>
> I am able to print a test page from the printer, so I believe the printer
> itself is okay.
>
> When I go to http://localhost:631/admin/ (there is no login to root, as I
> understand there is supposed to be), but it just opens to the admin page
> automatically ... but I am unable to delete either of the printers listed
> there.
>
> Meanwhile, I have been able to print from my wife's xp laptop.
>
> And also, I have been able to print from another laptop on which I just
> installed kubuntu.
>
> So, I assume the problem is something wrong with 'cups' on my main desktop
> computer
>
> How can I trouble-shoot this and figure out what needs to be corrected?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.