networking problem

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:52:17 MST 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:33 AM, James Dugger <james.dugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> Mike,
>
> A few questions -
>   which box is client and which is host (for purposes of ssh)?

1- I'm embarrassed to say, but I don't know. I think they both are client.
rsync and ssh work from the laptop to the desktop but I can do neither the
other way.
2- As for ping: it will ping from the desktop to the laptop but not the
other way. Is this odd? In my mind it shouldn;t ping from the desktop to
the laptop! seeing as what I said in 1.
3- Static IP addresses? I know I set them up as static when I first set it
up and with each new install they didn't change so I never bothered making
sure they were static again. It is bad of me but i  just assumed everything
was cool.
4- known_hosts file? There is a known_hosts file on the laptop and after it
was deleted it recreated itself. Not so on the desktop. I deleted it and it
didn't recreate itself.
5- id_rsa and id_rsa.pub in ~/.ssh? Neither of those files exist.
6- authorized_keys? On neither of the boxes do I see the
file  authorized_keys. So I suppose that means neither is a host.

  On which box is the rsync program running?
>   Are you using static IP addresses for both boxes?
>   On the client box do you have a known_hosts file in ~/.ssh
>   If you see known_hosts file type cat known_hosts while in the directory
> ~/.ssh do you see the line id-rsa= with a bunch of numbers and letter pairs?
>   On client do you see id_rsa and id_rsa.pub in ~/.ssh?
>   On the host box do you see a file named authorized_keys in ~/.ssh?
>

> Also you mentioned networking problems with the address that you are using
> in for Openssh can you ping the box?  try pinging the host box from client
> using ping -c4 <host ip address>  check for packet loss.  If you are losing
> packets and/or the host cannot be reached than you have a network problem
> other than just ssh and you will need to solve this first.
>

> well... I'll tell you... I deleted known_hosts on the computer that will
>> not rsync or ssh and ran the reset command to find no gain in the
>> situation. I the tried to ssh from  the laptop and after logging in I was
>> presented with a message that I needed to reboot. I did but there was no
>> improvement in the situation.
>>

> --
> James