Resize partition solution -and- problem.

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Jul 9 15:47:53 MST 2012

First ... I'd like to say kudos to Larry (Dazed) and all the great guys
that give their time so generously at the monthly Installfests, providing
such excellent help.

Last Saturday, while trying to shrink a 40-gig partition on my xp laptop
so I could add Linux, we ran into a stumbling block with Gparted not
working.

Since then, I've been searching for other options. Knoppix CD had one
called "QTParted" that seemed to work better than Gparted ... but it also
did not work.

Finally, I found a really slick, free download GUI partition editing
bootable CD here: www.PartitionWizard.com/download.html ... with an iso
named: pwhe7.iso

When loading, it showed the name "tinycore" as its Linux platform, and
when loaded it had the slickest (by far) graphical interface of any
partition editor I've seen ... and it worked great and fast.  I used
'chkdsk' and 'defrag' on the 40-gig hard disk and that seemed to show that
only about 20% of the disk was used with no indicted disk usage beyond the
50% point on the disk.  So, I decided to just shrink the xp partition to
22 gig which I though would avoid damaging any of the xp files on the
disk.

That left 16 gig free to install Linux, so I used 3.6 gig for "/" 3.9 gig
for swap and the remaining 10 gig for "/home"

Installation of Kubuntu 12.04 went flawlessly and it works fine ...
however ... the GNU GRUB version 1.99-21-ubuntu3 boot that Kubuntu
installed shows 5 entries of which only the first four work:

- Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae
- Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae (recovery mode)
- Memory test (memtest86+)
- Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)

But xp does not boot.

Grub offers an option to edit each entry, and when I do that
to the M$ entry, this is what I see:

setparams 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional ()on /dev/sda1)"

insmod part-msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos1)"
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 01CD5DCE2C361380
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root)
chainloader +1

*** So *** what can I do to fix grub so it will boot xp?
Or have I completely destroyed it?