Looking for Router Suggestions

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:14:18 MST 2012

*
*"I haven't priced out your parts list, but I would be surprised if it
comes to less than $80."*

No it wouldn't be that cheap.
*
*
*"I need a total of 20 gigabit LAN ports for my network. Currently, I have
two 8 port gigabit switches, and 4 10/100 ports on my current BEFSX41
router. I want to upgrade the router for open vpn, and gigabit speeds. So
the router is also a switch"*
*
*
I assume with DD-WRT that the router has the capability to perform traffic
shaping and control the built-in hardware ports.  How good of a job does
DD-WRT do with this? What about bonding?  This may not be needed now, but
without knowing what the bandwidth usage is for the 20 LAN ports having
that as an option may be something to condsider.

*"What is the advantage of running the whole thing virtualized?"*
*
*
Not sure, although having the ability to move the router configuration
quickly to another system might be an advantage.

--
James