Looking for Router Suggestions

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Jul 6 10:34:28 MST 2012

James,

It sounds like a fun project! I am very tempted.......

However, I found this one -
https://www.flashrouters.com/netgear-wnr3500l-ddwrt-router.php for $80. It
has wireless, but I can just turn it off. A 480 MHz processor, and dd-wrt
installed and tested with openvpn. I haven't priced out your parts list,
but I would be surprised if it comes to less than $80. Also, I think the
netgear router will consume less power and space in my crowded cable
"closet" (aka the top shelf in my cupboard).

Answers to your questions -
I need a total of 20 gigabit LAN ports for my network. Currently, I have
two 8 port gigabit switches, and 4 10/100 ports on my current BEFSX41
router. I want to upgrade the router for open vpn, and gigabit speeds. So
the router is also a switch.

What is the advantage of running the whole thing virtualized?

But still, the fun of building this little project may outweigh the high
costs ($ and amps).....

Mark