Opinions on Zorin OS (and a side order of Mint)

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:41:26 MST 2012

howtogeek.com has a number of articles about adding different desktops to
Ubuntu and ubuntu supports you having as many as you want.  Once you have
selected one at the login screen, it will use that one until you change
it.

I did a demo for SLUG where I installed 10 or 12 desktops during the
meeting and simply had to log out and back in the change between any of
them (including MATE BTW).

The only one that caused me any grief was XFCE and the only problem was
that it changed the splash screen forever.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> Yes, either use "metacity --replace &" to kill compiz (and unity), or I
> also use a cairo-dock plugin called "composite manager" to flip between
> them.  I use a startup launch for cairo and awn, using them to replace
> unity, the menu, tasks, and systray items, so I don't even notice unity
> being gone.  Between reducing from 2 framebuffers to 1 with a new video
> card, and disabling compiz/unity, I'd gotten a few weeks of uptime until
> yesterday whereas prior I'd get about 3 days of stable use.
>
> I need to run through and try different desktops now, though anything but
> unity pooped itself (sad to say) when presented with very large desktop
> framebuffers.
>
> -mb
>

> On 07/05/2012 01:46 PM, Carruth, Rusty wrote:
>
>> CAN you get Ubuntu to NOT use that stupid unity interface?  (Goodness,
>> people, this is a desktop computer, NOT a phone!)

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.