Opinions on Zorin OS

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 14:24:54 MST 2012

You all know me. I'm the self-proclaimed village idiot.  I use linux 100%
on both of my computers. If the village idiot can do it amyone can. I run
Mint12 on my laptop and Ubuntu on the desktop. The only grief I've had with
this is when I first installed mint it would panic  when I was running it
on the battery. Thanks to you guys' recommendation that `lil problem was
solved by upgrading the kernel. (I then tried upgrading to an even newer
kernel but  it started to panic on battery again so I reset it to the
kernel I knew worked.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> I watched the 2012 WLS one, and he's mostly right, but far over-dramatizes
> it I think.
>
> Linux definitely does not "suck" as a desktop, but if calling it that
> helps fix bits that do - sure.  I use linux exclusively for home and work,
> which is generally no small feat, relegating windows to vm only. My wife as
> a non-sysadmin user runs linux natively as well, doing Minecraft, facebook
> games, gimp for graphics, openoffice, and general every day use.  While it
> gives me grief at times, it also gives me far more potential than any
> windoze system would without installing linux in vm or cygwin on it.
>
> I thought my big desktop system had issues until I used a customer
> dual-head win7 system for a few days for systems access, and there were far
> more split desktop rendering issues than I would have expected for modern
> winos.  I suddenly appreciated linux that much more with or without my
> compiz/ati issues.
>
> -mb
>

> On 07/05/2012 07:32 AM, AZ RUNE wrote:
>
>> Well same here, and for the pure spirited 'no its another skin of
>> Windows' try watching Jupiter Broadcasting Linux Sucks on Youtube where
>> they are addressing why Linux doesn't work in the desktop, laptop arena.
>> Made me re evaluate a few things and I am die hard linux fan living in a
>> mixed environment at work.
>>
>> Brian