OT: Is it possible to make a printer wireless?

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Thu Jul 5 13:22:00 MST 2012

WHOA!  I bought mine a few years back for under $100, AFAIR!  Wow!

On the inkjet vs laser - I was a died-in-the-wool Laser fan for years
(still have a soft spot in my heart for a good old laser printer - and
indeed I even have a color laser printer at home that someone threw away
some years back.  Replacement set of toner thingies is about $120 - but
very nice to not have to worry about them drying out!)

And up till recently I've spent more on new ink cartridges for inkjets
than the crazy printer was worth!  Until a friend mentioned that new
printers keep track of when they need to print to avoid drying out the
print head (as long as you keep them powered up), and that he's had
great luck with refillable cartridges.

My cost on the refillables is amazingly low.  Bought one set of
refillable carts a year or 3 ago (to replace the previous set I'd had
that died) (cost was under $40 (And ISTR under $20) for all 4), and 2
sets of refill ink (about $10 per set) since then.  And my family prints
a fair amount...

My only complaint is that the stupid Epson printer every once in a while
decides that it doesn't like the non-Epson cartridges, and you have to
fiddle with the stupid thing to get it to like them again.  I'm not
completely happy, and if I die my wife will be out of luck (probably
switch back to the laser printer)...

> > ... options   get a printer that has wireless already.
> > I have an Epson workforce 610 that works fine with linux and
> > has wireless
>
> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> Yes, getting one wireless already would be best.
>
> Epson WorkForce 610 Wireless Color Inkjet All-in-One is $488.
> Too much for me and I'd prefer laser to inkjet.
>
> Brother MFC7860DW Wireless B/W Print/Scan/Copy/Fax is $260 on Amazon.
>
> Still looking for a lower cost option to do it all ;)

Well, an old junker PC running linux and a wireless card (or an old
laptop, for that matter) - if like me you've got 8 of them laying around
anyway just gathering dust...  Well, that's pretty cheap :-)

Rusty