some pages just won't load

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jul 4 11:12:08 MST 2012

Honestly it sounds like infrastructure/code problems on their side more
than browser scripting, but different versions of browsers interpret
things differently.  I see big differences between milestone releases of
chrome/chromium how certain webapps work differently, and a complicated
"social networking" site is no different.

Your issue sounds like a hung session that eventually timed out,
reconnected, and got its resource finally.  Bad/broken scripting (or
server) causes odd timing events too with menus and other mouse-over
events that sometimes I see not fully complete, even flicker.  Load
balancers cause this kind of errant display when dealing with
non-stateful code, but largely depends on what framework and language
they use for their content menus.  I see lots of craziness like that
with asp or any windows-y code in anything but ie.

You don't "need" notscript, only your symptoms sound like when js *is*
broken from it disallowing scripting by default.  It won't help you
here, but still good to have.

Most sites want js actually, only im selective about what gets allowed.
  Keeps crazy scripting and tracking to a minimum when they truly add no
value (to me).

You'll see things like double-click, intellitxt, and various other
parasitic sites that try to run scripts to track, advertise, and in
other ways exploit local scripting for their business necessity.  I find
most times I only need to enable scripting on one site, the parent site,
and leave the other 9 blocked to function.  Sites like gawkers are
terrible, requiring 4-5 domains just to function for content delivery.
I avoid them as poorly designed and now annoying.

This reduces the overall possibility someone will infect you with a
drive-by script attack (rogue ad in facebook seems most common).  Kept
me virus free for duration of windoze use with noscript+firefox, but it
reduces marketing nausea under linux as well using notscript+chrome.

I use this as kind of a gauge how much a site is out to screw me.  Sadly
more do than don't.  RSS is a good way to bypass it as well to get
content off a site without direct scripting.

-mb