HELP-Kubuntu-Whacked screen after update

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jul 4 00:43:06 MST 2012

I've had ill effects occur in kde and gnome like this forcing me to
basically rename the ~/.gnome2* directors as well as ~/.kde to
rebuild/fix odd desktop issues.  The profiles were sometimes glitchy due
to laptop hard shutdowns forcing me to recreate new, but haven't had
that issue in a long while with ext4 (always suspected it was a weird
reiserfs artifact).

Upgrades in ubuntu more often then not hose my systems desktop-wise as
they extend/change dbus and gconf schemas, and upgrades don't seem to
always catch usage throughout the desktop config files.  I'm sure kde is
similar.  Try a new user profile and work back from there, renaming it
from a root shell and/or create a new user.

-mb