Can't save... insufficient user rights

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Mon Jul 2 15:04:22 MST 2012

Test to understand wildcard behaviour:

kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ touch JUNK .JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -1
JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -1a
.
..
JUNK
.JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -a *JUNK
JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -a .*JUNK
.JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ rm *JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -1a
.
..
.JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ rm .*JUNK
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$ ls -1a
.
..
kitepilot at twinbeech[/tmp/JUNK]$

As you can see above,
*file
is different than
.*file
and that's why your 'rm' didn't work.
Which is lucky indeed, because if you don't understand wildcards you will
sooner or later delete something that you didn't mean to.

I'd suggest you to get in the habit of running a
'ls ${wildcard}'
before a
'rm ${wildcard}'
to avoid holes in your feet...   :)