descend the network tree

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jan 28 10:42:54 MST 2012

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> thank you lisa. not quite what i wanted to know but it is useful
> information. what I meant is how do you descend into other computers.
[snip]

I'll assume you meant "find out what resources other computers are sharing
over the network" there.

For SMB servers, "smbclient -L MACHINE" will show you all the network
filesystems, printers, and various other things that MACHINE is making
available via SMB.  You can use an IP address instead of a machine name too.
You may need the -U username and -W workgroup options, depending on how the
remote machines are set up.

For NFS servers, "showmount -e MACHINE" should show you all the NFS
filesystems that MACHINE is making available.

For printers, the CUPS web interface shows quite a bit of info about many
modern printers hooked to a network, but I'm not sure how it gets that info.
"lpinfo" might be what you're looking for.  Can't tell; I don't have a printer
at home.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows