drupal or plone

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Jan 25 12:47:19 MST 2012

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed plone just fine but in the readme one of the recommended
>> programs is poppler. So I went to their d/l page and loaded it. So I
unpack
>> it and see it needs to be compiled.

In general, if you want N, you do "yum search N" or "emerge --search N" or
whatever your distro's equivalent is *before* you try to compile N from
source.  It's usually a lot easier and faster.  I'd be very surprised if your
distro doesn't have a package for poppler.

Also, poppler is for making PDFs.  If you don't need to make PDFs right now,
fuggeddabouttit and deal with it later.

>> No package 'fontconfig' found
>> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>> installed software in a non-standard prefix.

poppler's ./configure is using pkg-config to look for the cflags, headers,
libraries, and so forth for fontconfig.  And it's failing.  This is
suboptimal, but I get absolutely nothing from "pkg-config --cflags fontconfig"
even though I've got fontconfig and fontconfig-devel installed on this CentOS
box, and /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ has a fontconfig.pc file in it.  (pkgconfig
problems, sigh.)

So, you can fix poppler's configure script[1], or you can *install your
distro's package(s) for poppler*, where someone's already done all the work of
compiling it and putting all of its dependencies in the right place.

> whole mess of fontconfigs on my system so it isn't a matter of installing
> the program but rather of getting poppler to see that it is installed.

See above.

[0] Gentoo is the exception here
[1] I remember running into something like this at some point with poppler; it
took a couple of days for the Gentoo people to release a patch.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows