drupal or plone

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jan 25 09:02:17 MST 2012

Some other thoughts about plone from other plone developers...(Again, I
know nothing about Drupal)

- regarding usage:
Plone can be used immediately out-of-the-box (Drupal needs extra
configuration after installation before providing any services), and the
core features offer a very decent coverage, so you start building an entire
web site easily.
Plone is very easy to use, no specific knowledge is needed to start
producing content, Drupal is most part of time more difficult (let's
say Plone is contributor oriented, whereas Drupal is webmaster oriented). I
would agree about plone...install it and end users can start creating pages
of content right away. I set up a high school newspaper site with plone out
of the box, and the students were creating news stories, photo albums,
surveys, etc. within a couple of hours. All with the built in workflow, so
the school administration could review/approve/reject all content before it
was published to the Internet.

- regarding admin sys:
Plone provides a fully integrated architecture where you can easily deploy
clustering, caching, load balancing, etc...
whereas Drupal is only a component (actually a set of components providing
CMS features) that needs to be integrated in a global architecture. You may
not care with a small site, but as it grows or you need these things, they
are built in and just have to be turned on in plone.

- regarding development:
The Plone framework is much more robust and structured, all Plone products
respect its standards (and at all levels: component architecture,
testability, deployability, CSS classes, JS declaration,
internationalization, everything...).
Drupal is more unstructured and heterogeneous. There is also a large body
of open source Plone products to add new functionality and themes to change
the look and feel of the site.

Also, some other sources if information from the plone community -

http://www.sixfeetup.com/blog/plone-vs.-drupal
http://www.sixfeetup.com/blog/plone-vs-drupal-installation
http://www.sixfeetup.com/blog/plone-vs.-drupal-core-features-comparison

Six Feet Up is a plone developer of long standing and high involved with
the development of plone itself.

Have fun!

Mark