"no such partition"~I hurt my machine!

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 10:46:51 MST 2012

thanks for the help, Paul. I really appreciate it. Now I kow what to do the
next time this happens. I wound up reinstalling the operating system which
ai had just installed a couple of days prior to this happening. I expected
only that os to be fixed but both of them were fixed. I really wish I could
utilize your advice!

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Paul Mooring <drpppr242 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've usually had bad luck with 'grub-install', I would boot a live cd
> and run the grub command itself, then just run the install commands:
>
>  # grubu;l --no-floppy
>  grub>  root (hd0,0)
>  grub> setup (hd0)
>
> This assumes your /boot/grub/menu.lst is already setup, /dev/sda1 is
> your root, and you want your bootloader on the /dev/sda drive.  If any
> of that's not true adjust the (hdX,X) part, so if you want the boot
> loader on /dev/sdb and the root partition is /dev/sdb2 run 'root
> (hd1,1)' and 'setup (hd1)'.  Hope that helps.
>

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I did it again..... I hurt my machine. To hurt my machine I was
> moving
> > partitions around and resizing some. After I got done playing with these
> > things I rebooted and an absolutely lovely message appeared! That message
> > was:
> >
> >      error : no such partition
> >      grubrescue>_
> >
> > Oops! What did I do now. I didn't modify the first partition (which is a
> > distributiomn) in the least so I was thinking I would boot into that
> > partition. Except it isn't even loading grub so I can't do that. In my
> > efforts to fix this on my own I entered 'update-grub' but it said 'no
> such
> > file.....'. Then I entered 'ls' and the response was
> >
> >      (hd0) (hd0,8) (hd0,7) (hd0,6) (hd0,5) (hd0,1)
> >
> > Going on from what I've heard do I need to mount the partitions with
> > distributions on them and then reinstall grub
> > sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdathen Reboot normally then
> > update grub:
> >
> >      sudo update-grub
> >
> > Is this right?
> > --