Where did the degree requirement come from for programmers?

Phillip Waclawski waclawski at mesacc.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:43:15 MST 2012

As an interesting example on the other side, was some of the weird experience requirements when I was looking for a job in mid 90s. I was interviewing for a job and when they said they only wanted senior admins with years of experience, and not a "junior admin"....I asked, "well, do you EVER hire junior admins". NO.....??? So, if no one hires the intermediate level folks, how do they ever get the experience. "Well, we expect them to get that at OTHER companies". And how long have you been trying to fill this position?
"Over 18 months"....And I had to ask "Don't you think that after 18 months of on the job training, someone like me would be an excellent admin able to follow your companies methods etc etc".....(pauses) "Well, yes, but we only hire senior admins" (facepalm).

And of course, in 1997 I saw job postings asking for a minimum of 3-5 years Java experience (it came out in 1995).
The best was about 3 months after Microsoft released all of their .NET stuff, they were expecting 2-3 years experience. ;)

Phil Waclawski