Where did the degree requirement come from for programmers?

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:36:55 MST 2012

from the conversation i have had with headhunters and hireing
managers/HR people.

usually the 4 year degree is a filter, and they use it to slow down
the number of applicants to a hopefully more manageable level.

and for them this is a win win, because if you have a 2 or 4 year
degree with any real experience you usually worth interviewing. If you
don't have the degree, but you are really confident in your ability
and experience you will apply anyhow and that will still be worth
seeing. but those who are not ready or not that self possessed will
see the degree and move on to something else.

However they also let me in on a secret, when companies are big enough
to have HR personnel that are not 100% dedicated to hiring for a
specific type AKA they know next to nothing about hiring for IT they
tend to skim for bullet points. so if there is a list of skills make
100% sure if you have anything related to the job in cert, class, or
professional experience get it on your resume and as close to the
first page that you can manage. that way they will make that skim and
see that you have he bullet points and you at least have better odds
of passing tot he next round so someone with real experience in your
position will see your resume.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 09:01 -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
>> Most position requirements (and some degree programs) require
>> experience OR education.
>
> I agree, whether they actually mean that or not is another question.  I
> started college, but ran out of money so I never got my degree.  A
> friend I meet in college was working for Locheed Martin (now United
> Launch Alliance) at the time, and could not get through many of her
> programming classes without my help.  But despite 15 years experience
> and 3 years of college, and experience teaching networking and
> programming at a local Community College, they would not hire me.
>
> But dear reader... don't despair... I did find a great company to work
> for that paid me better than she is getting paid.  Spent 5 years doing
> R&D, when they downsized and eliminated the position.  She is still
> stuck doing the same thing, while I spent 6 weeks between gigs, and got
> a 15% raise, and am now with a company that is allowing me to drive my
> career where I want it to go.  With a company that is growing and taking
> their employees along with them.
>
> I guess the morale of the story is... Some companies care, for what I
> believe are a series of bureaucratic and CYA rules and regulations.  But
> at least from my experience... these companies suck to work for.  The
> same forces that force the degree to start with, also limit the ability
> to move up.  After all, if they are not looking at your talent when they
> hire you, what makes you think they are going to look at your talent
> when new needs arise?  Funny think is, I would accept less to work in a
> company that is looking at how I can advance and how my advance can help
> them, than I would for many of these larger, bureaucratic organizations.
> But the fact that I actually get paid more, and get the ability to craft
> my career?  Well, like I said, some companies will say they will accept
> experience, others actually will, and my experience shows that companies
> that actually will, are far better to work for in the end.
>>
>> In government postions, educational caste systems related to pay scale
>> are not negotiable.
>
> This just makes my last point EXACTLY.
>
> Kevin

Stephen