Where did the degree requirement come from for programmers?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 07:56:13 MST 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where the degree requirement came from for developers.

In the early 80's there were very few computer courses available.  I talked with a guy in about 1988 who told me he was a math major because that was the closest thing to a computer science degree in the 70's and early 80's.

I read that in the early 80's businesses were offering classes in programming.  The example I read said the course was 6 weeks long.  The graduates were give high paying jobs.

The interesting part is I was attending college in the early 80's.  At the UofA intro to computers was a FORTRAN programming class.  Then a class in COBOL.  It was mostly a business degree with an emphasis on programming.

I'm curious if anyone knows why corporate America requires a degree to be a programmer.  The degree does not open the door.  Skills do.

Do system administrators need degrees?

As far as I'm concerned a degree in and of it self means nothing.  I've worked with and know people who do not have a degree that can run circles around some with degrees.

Just curious where that requirement came from.