Scientific Linux

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 12 16:48:13 MST 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Ben Browning wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
>
>> It and CentOS are almost indistinguishable to a sysadmin who i not a
>> distribution builder; the remaining principal of the distribution is: Connie
>> Sieh, who is a friend.  the other long time member recently went to work at
>> Red Hat
>
> My understanding is that it's a limited release cycle to aid in
> stability from a development point of view.

Nope ... tracks along with RHEL, just like CentOS, PU-IAS, and
others

> If the patch cycle is as
> quick as Cent/RHEL, it may be prod-ready.

net patch cycles have historically track out substantially
identically; CentOS just completed a re-engineering cycle with
the 6 major release which, with any luck, will shorten the
release turn

> But saying "It's
> indistinguishable from CentOS" just makes me think "Why not just use
> CentOS then?" If it lacks any compelling, distinguishing feature , I
> don't know why I wouldn't use the ubiquitous, widely supported option.

Under that argument, simply pay for RHEL [1].  Diversity is
good

-- Russ herrold

[1] http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-saw-mommy-kissing-santa.html
and